Thursday, 17 September 2026

CS-1 - Cultural Studies, Media, Power, and the Truly Educated Person



Step 1: 


• The role of media in shaping culture and identity.


When I think about my own daily life, I realize how often media quietly becomes part of the way I see the world. The videos I watch, the posts that appear on my social media feed, the advertisements I notice, and even the characters I see in films can influence what I think is beautiful, successful, normal, or important. This makes me see media as more than a source of entertainment or information. As Dilip Barad explains, media is closely connected with power because it can shape people’s perceptions and ideas about society. Through newspapers, television, films, advertisements, and social media, media can preserve cultural values and strengthen certain identities, but it can also challenge stereotypes and give visibility to voices that are often ignored. In this sense, media does not simply reflect culture; it actively participates in creating, changing, and sometimes controlling the way we understand ourselves and others. Therefore, understanding media critically is important for understanding contemporary culture and identity.


• How power structures are reinforced through media representation.


Media representation can reinforce existing power structures by deciding whose voices, lifestyles, opinions, and experiences receive visibility and how they are presented. As Dilip Barad explains, media is closely connected with power because it can influence public perception and shape what people accept as normal or important. For example, advertisements may repeatedly present particular beauty standards, while films or news media can portray certain social groups through stereotypes. When the same representations are repeated, they can make unequal social ideas appear natural or unquestionable.

In my own observation, social media can also reinforce these structures through trends and algorithms. Content that receives more attention is shown repeatedly, which can make certain opinions, lifestyles, or identities appear more popular or acceptable than others. However, media can also challenge dominant power by giving marginalized voices a platform. Therefore, media representation is not neutral; it can maintain existing inequalities, but it can also become a space for questioning and resisting them.


• The characteristics of a "truly educated person" in the context of Cultural Studies.


In the context of Cultural Studies, a truly educated person is not simply someone who has degrees or has memorized information. According to Dilip Barad’s discussion, true education develops the ability to question, inquire, think independently, and examine ideas critically. A truly educated person is willing to look beyond accepted beliefs, understand different perspectives, and connect knowledge from different disciplines. Such a person does not blindly accept everything presented by teachers, society, or the media but asks why, how, and whose interests are involved.

In today’s media-saturated world, I think a truly educated person must also possess media literacy. This means checking information, recognizing bias and stereotypes, questioning representations, and being aware of how media can influence our thoughts and choices. Therefore, Cultural Studies connects education with critical thinking, intellectual freedom, independent judgement, and the courage to question dominant ideas rather than simply accepting them.


Step: 2 


1. Media and Power:   

How does the blog articulate the relationship between media and power in contemporary society? Provide examples from the blog and your own observations.:



Introduction:


The blog presents media and power as closely connected forces in contemporary society. Media is generally understood as a means of communication, but the blog encourages us to look beyond this simple function. It shows that media can influence how people understand reality, form opinions, recognize social values, and respond to events. In this sense, media is not always a neutral mirror of society. The selection of information, the way a story is presented, and the amount of attention it receives can affect how audiences perceive the world. The blog therefore uses Cultural Studies to examine the less visible relationship between media and the structures of power behind it.

The blog makes this relationship clear when it argues that power makes extensive use of different forms of media, including print, radio, television, electronic, digital, and social media. The important point is that power does not operate only through direct commands or force. It can also operate by influencing perceptions and shaping the environment in which people form their opinions.


Understanding Power


Before examining how media functions as an instrument of power, the blog asks us to think about what power itself means. The accompanying video, How to Understand Power, helps introduce the idea that power operates through social structures and relationships rather than existing only in the hands of one individual.

🎥 Watch: How to Understand Power – Eric Liu



This video can be placed here because it provides a useful starting point for understanding the concept of power before moving to its relationship with media. The original blog also places this video before its discussion of mass media. 


Chomsky’s Five Filters



The most useful part of the blog for understanding this relationship is its discussion of Noam Chomsky’s Five Filters of Mass Media. These filters provide a framework for examining why some information becomes highly visible while other information receives less attention.


1. Media Ownership

The first filter is media ownership. Media organisations require financial resources to function, and ownership can therefore influence the priorities of an organisation. The ownership structure raises an important Cultural Studies question: Who controls the institution that produces the message? Looking at ownership helps us understand that media content is produced within particular economic and institutional conditions.


2. Advertising

The second filter is advertising. Many media organisations depend on advertising as an important source of income. This means that media does not operate only as a relationship between producer and audience; it also operates within a commercial system. This makes me think differently about advertisements because they do more than sell products. They can connect products with particular ideas of beauty, happiness, success, confidence, or lifestyle.


3. Media Elite and Sourcing

The third filter concerns media elite and sourcing. News organisations often depend on established or authoritative sources for information. This means that some voices may automatically receive greater credibility and visibility than others. A Cultural Studies approach therefore asks: Whose voice is treated as authoritative, and whose experience receives less attention?


4. Flak

The fourth filter is flak, which refers to criticism, pressure, or organized negative responses directed towards media that presents ideas considered unacceptable by powerful interests. This demonstrates that media messages exist within a wider social environment where different groups can attempt to influence what is said and how it is said.


5. The Common Enemy

The fifth filter is the common enemy. According to the framework discussed in the blog, presenting a shared threat can help create agreement among audiences and can make particular viewpoints appear more acceptable than others. This shows how media can influence not only what people think about, but also how they interpret groups, events, and social problems.

Taken together, these filters help explain the blog’s discussion of “manufacturing consent.” The idea is not simply that audiences are forced to accept one opinion. Rather, the information environment itself can influence which ideas appear normal, credible, or worthy of attention. This is why the blog connects media criticism with the study of power.


From Filtering Information to “Manufacturing Consent”


Together, these five filters help explain the idea of “manufacturing consent” discussed in the blog. The idea is not simply that audiences are directly forced to accept one particular opinion. Instead, the information environment can influence which ideas receive attention, which voices appear credible, and which perspectives become easier to accept. The blog connects this process with the way corporate mass media can contribute to maintaining existing structures of power.

🎥 Watch: Manufacturing Consent



The Audience Is Also Part of the Process


The blog does not discuss only the power of media institutions. It also introduces Jay Van Bavel’s discussion of partisanship and judgement. This adds another dimension to the question of media and power. People do not always interpret information in a completely detached way. Our identities, group affiliations, and existing beliefs can influence how we respond to information.

I find this especially relevant to social media. Sometimes I notice that when I already agree with a particular idea, I am more likely to notice posts that support it and less likely to stop and question them. Therefore, media influence is not only about what is produced by media institutions; it is also connected with how audiences select, interpret, trust, and share information.


My Own Observation of Digital Media


When I think about my everyday media use, I realize how quietly media becomes part of my routine. I use platforms such as Instagram and YouTube for entertainment, academic material, information, and communication. When I search for a particular topic or repeatedly watch a certain kind of video, I often begin to receive more similar content. This can make one topic or perspective occupy a large part of my feed.

For example, if I watch several videos related to beauty, fashion, literature, or study techniques, similar content often appears again and again. After repeated exposure, something can begin to feel important simply because I see it frequently. This has made me realize that visibility and repetition can influence perception.

Advertisements work in a similar way. They do not simply tell us that a product exists. They often attach a product to an imagined lifestyle. A particular cosmetic may be presented as a path to confidence, a phone as a symbol of success, or a fashion trend as a sign of being modern. Such messages can gradually influence everyday choices and even ideas about identity.


A New Dimension: Algorithmic Media


The blog was written in 2017, before the current social-media environment became as deeply dependent on personalized recommendation systems as it is today. I think its framework can still be extended to this digital environment. Recommendation systems can determine what appears repeatedly on a user's screen based on previous activity and engagement.

I would therefore consider algorithmic curation as a contemporary extension of the blog’s discussion of media filtering, although it is not one of Chomsky’s original five filters. A user may feel that they are freely choosing what to watch, while the platform is simultaneously deciding which content is made most visible. This does not mean that algorithms determine exactly what every person believes, but they can influence the information environment in which people make their choices.

This makes critical media awareness increasingly important. Instead of accepting every repeated message as naturally important or true, I think we should ask:

Why am I seeing this? Who created it? What is the purpose behind it? Whose perspective is being presented? What information is missing?


Media Can Also Challenge Power



At the same time, media should not be understood only as an instrument of control. The same digital platforms can provide opportunities for individuals and communities to share experiences, challenge stereotypes, and make less visible voices heard. Independent creators, online educational communities, documentaries, and social-media campaigns can question dominant representations and introduce alternative perspectives.

This makes the relationship between media and power more complex. Media can help maintain established ideas, but it can also become a space where those ideas are questioned and reinterpreted.


Conclusion


The blog helped me understand that media and power are not separate subjects. Media participates in the production of meaning, while power influences the conditions under which meanings become visible and accepted. Chomsky’s Five Filters demonstrate the structural side of this relationship, while the discussion of partisanship shows that audiences themselves can also become involved in the process.

My own experience with social media has made this idea more personal. I now recognize that what I repeatedly see can influence what I consider important, attractive, normal, or believable. Therefore, media literacy is not simply the ability to use digital platforms. It is the ability to pause, question, verify, compare, and think independently. In this sense, understanding the relationship between media and power is an important part of becoming a truly educated person.


2. Role of Education:

The blog discusses the qualities of a "truly educated person." How does this concept challenge or align with traditional notions of education? What qualities do you think define a truly educated person today, especially in relation to media literacy?:




Introduction:


The idea of a “truly educated person” discussed in the blog made me rethink the meaning of education. Usually, when we hear the word education, we think about schools, colleges, examinations, marks, degrees, and professional qualifications. These are certainly important parts of our educational journey, but the blog suggests that education should not stop there. A person may have a degree and still accept everything without questioning it. In that sense, being educated is not only about what we know but also about how we think.

The blog uses Noam Chomsky’s ideas to present education as a process of inquiry, discovery, creativity, and independent thinking. Chomsky emphasizes that education should give people the freedom to explore ideas rather than simply accepting what has already been given to them. The important question is therefore not only how much a student has learned, but also whether the student has developed the ability to think for themselves.


🎥 What Noam Chomsky Says About a Truly Educated Person


The following video is helped me understand this idea more clearly:

What Noam Chomsky thinks about a truly educated person



The idea that stayed with me is that education should encourage a person to ask questions, explore, and discover, rather than simply collect information.


Education Is More Than Receiving Information


I think this is where the idea of a truly educated person becomes different from a conventional understanding of education. In a classroom, students are often expected to complete a syllabus, prepare for examinations, and reproduce what they have studied. But real learning begins when we become curious about what lies beyond the given material.

For instance, when I study a literary text, I do not think it is enough to know its plot, characters, themes, or important quotations. I can also ask why the text represents a particular society in a particular way, whose experience is visible in it, whose experience is absent, and how historical or cultural conditions influence it. This kind of questioning makes education more meaningful because I am no longer only receiving knowledge; I am engaging with it.

The approach of Cultural Studies supports this kind of learning because it encourages us to connect literature and culture with areas such as media, politics, society, language, identity, and everyday life.


Why This Matters in the Age of Media


For me, the idea of a truly educated person becomes even more important because much of our learning now happens outside formal classrooms. We receive information through Instagram, YouTube, news websites, films, advertisements, podcasts, and other digital platforms. We are surrounded by information almost all the time.

But having access to information does not necessarily mean that we understand it.

Sometimes I come across a post or video and initially accept it because it looks convincing or because many people are sharing it. Later, when I look at the matter more carefully, I realize that a popular post may contain only one side of an issue or may present information without enough context. This has made me understand that being informed and being educated are not exactly the same thing.

An educated person should be able to stop and question what they are seeing.


Media Literacy as a Part of Education


This is why I think media literacy should be an essential part of education today. Media literacy is not simply knowing how to use Instagram, YouTube, Google, or other digital platforms. It means understanding how media messages are created and learning to examine them critically.

When I see an advertisement, for example, I can ask why a particular lifestyle is being presented as desirable. When I read a news story, I can think about how the headline, images, language, and selection of information shape my understanding. When I watch a viral video, I can check its source before accepting or sharing it.

The discussion of media and power in the blog makes this even more important. The blog introduces Chomsky’s Five Filters to show that media content can be influenced by factors such as ownership, advertising, sourcing, flak, and dominant ideological frameworks. This encourages readers to look beyond the surface of a media message and think about the conditions in which that message has been produced.

So, a media-literate person does not simply ask:

“What is this message saying?”

They also ask:

“Why is it saying this?”
“Who has produced it?”
“What perspective am I being given?”
“What might be missing?”


The Importance of Questioning Our Own Thinking


I also think that being educated requires us to examine our own assumptions, not only the assumptions of other people.

Sometimes we are comfortable with information that supports what we already believe. When something challenges our opinion, our first reaction may be to reject it. The blog’s discussion of partisanship made me think about this problem. It suggests that identity and group belonging can affect the way people respond to information.

This means that critical thinking is not simply about finding faults in other people's ideas. It also requires us to ask whether our own thinking may be biased.

I think this is one of the hardest but most valuable qualities of education.


My Understanding of a Truly Educated Person


After reading the blog, I would define a truly educated person as someone who is curious, questioning, open-minded, independent, and willing to learn continuously. Such a person does not believe that having a degree means that learning is complete.

A truly educated person can listen to an unfamiliar opinion without immediately rejecting it. They can disagree without becoming disrespectful. They can change their understanding when stronger evidence appears. They can recognize that one issue may have more than one perspective. Most importantly, they are not afraid to say, “I do not know yet; I need to find out.”

For me, this last quality is particularly important in today's world because we have so much information available that nobody can know everything.


Education as an Ongoing Process


The blog therefore changes the way I understand the purpose of education. Education should not only prepare us for examinations or employment. It should prepare us to participate thoughtfully in society.

As media continues to become a larger part of everyday life, we need the ability to distinguish between information and misinformation, evidence and opinion, representation and reality. We also need the confidence to question ideas that appear to be universally accepted.

In this sense, education becomes an ongoing process of learning, questioning, unlearning, and discovering.


Conclusion


The concept of the “truly educated person” presented in the blog challenges me to look beyond marks, degrees, and academic achievement. Knowledge becomes meaningful when it develops our ability to question, investigate, and think independently. In today's media-saturated world, this also means becoming a critical media user who does not immediately accept everything that appears on a screen.

For me, a truly educated person is therefore not simply someone who knows many things, but someone who knows how to question what they know, examine what they are told, and continue discovering for themselves. That, to me, is where education becomes a form of intellectual freedom.


3. Cultural Practices:

Media often shapes cultural norms and practices. Discuss how media representation influences cultural identities, specifically marginalized groups, as per the blog’s argument. Can media also act as a tool for resistance against dominant power structures?:



Introduction: 


Media has become an important part of the way culture is produced, shared, and understood. We learn about people, communities, traditions, lifestyles, and social values not only through direct experience but also through films, television, advertisements, news, YouTube, Instagram, and other digital platforms. The blog’s discussion of media and power made me think that representation is never completely innocent. What we repeatedly see in the media can influence what we begin to consider normal, attractive, successful, modern, or even acceptable.

This becomes especially important when we think about marginalized groups. If a community is rarely represented, it can become socially invisible. If it is represented repeatedly through the same limited images, those images can turn into stereotypes. In this way, media can influence not only how a group is seen by others but also how people within that group understand their own identity.


How Representation Shapes Cultural Identity


Cultural identity is not something that exists separately from society. It is constantly being expressed and negotiated through language, dress, food, traditions, beliefs, stories, and everyday practices. Media gives many of these things greater visibility and helps them circulate among large audiences.

For example, when films or advertisements repeatedly present a particular idea of beauty, family, success, or lifestyle, these representations can gradually become familiar. People may begin to compare their own lives with those images. In the same way, certain accents, clothes, languages, or cultural practices may be presented as modern and desirable while others may be portrayed as old-fashioned or less valuable.

This makes representation important because what is shown repeatedly can influence what society learns to value.

For marginalized communities, the problem can be even more serious. A community cannot be understood through only one image. Yet media sometimes reduces complex identities to a few recognizable characteristics. When this happens, the diversity within that community disappears from view.


The Question of Visibility


One question I find important here is:

Who gets to be visible in the media, and in what way?

Being visible is important, but the quality of that visibility matters too. A group can appear frequently in media and still be represented unfairly. On the other hand, a group that is rarely represented may struggle to make its experiences part of the wider cultural conversation.

The blog’s discussion of power and media filtering helps us think about this issue. If powerful institutions have greater control over what is produced and circulated, they can also have greater influence over which stories receive attention. This means that representation is connected with questions of authority, selection, and power.

I think this can be seen in the difference between being represented by someone and representing yourself. When people tell their own stories, they can show the complexity of their culture instead of being reduced to a single stereotype.


Media Can Preserve Cultural Practices


Media does not always weaken cultural identity. It can also help preserve and strengthen it. Social media, digital videos, documentaries, podcasts, and online communities allow people to share regional languages, local traditions, festivals, food, music, folk art, and family practices with audiences beyond their immediate communities.

I have noticed this especially on social media, where cultural practices that might once have remained within a particular region can now be seen by people everywhere. A short video about a local festival, traditional recipe, dialect, or craft can introduce a culture to someone who has never experienced it directly.

In this way, media can create a connection between culture and contemporary technology. It can also help younger generations remain connected with traditions while presenting them in new forms.


Can Media Resist Dominant Power?


I believe media can also become a tool of resistance, although this depends on how it is used. The same platforms that circulate dominant ideas can also provide space for people to challenge them.

A social-media page, YouTube channel, documentary, blog, or independent creative project can allow people to speak about their experiences in their own words. This can be particularly valuable for marginalized groups because they do not have to depend completely on mainstream institutions for visibility.

For me, one of the most powerful forms of resistance is self-representation. When people tell their own stories, they can question stereotypes, correct misunderstandings, preserve their cultural memory, and show that their identity cannot be reduced to one simple image.

Media can therefore become a place where dominant cultural meanings are not only reproduced but also questioned, negotiated, and transformed.


My Own Observation


When I think about the media I consume, I notice that some identities appear much more often than others. I also notice that social-media creators have made representation more diverse than it once seemed to be. Instead of seeing only mainstream representations, I can now find people sharing their own languages, regional cultures, personal experiences, and everyday realities.

At the same time, I have also realized that repeated exposure can create assumptions. When a particular image of a group or lifestyle appears again and again, it can start to feel like the complete truth. This is why I think representation should be viewed critically rather than accepted automatically.

For me, the important question is not simply “Who is represented?” but also “How are they represented, who is doing the representing, and what other stories are missing?”


Conclusion


The blog’s discussion of media and power helped me understand cultural representation in a deeper way. Media can shape cultural norms by repeatedly presenting certain identities, values, and lifestyles as ordinary or desirable. For marginalized groups, this can create problems of stereotyping, invisibility, or limited representation.

At the same time, media is not only a mechanism through which dominant power operates. It can also provide opportunities for self-expression, cultural preservation, alternative representation, and resistance. Digital platforms have made it possible for many people to participate directly in the production of cultural meanings.

Therefore, I see media as a space of both influence and possibility. It can tell people what culture is supposed to look like, but it can also allow people to answer back, “This is how we understand and represent ourselves.” That tension between representation and resistance is what makes media such an important subject in Cultural Studies.


4. Critical Media Consumption:

Reflect on your media consumption habits. How does media influence your worldview and daily choices? How can a critical approach to media consumption contribute to becoming a truly educated person?



My Relationship with Media


Media has become a regular part of my everyday life. As a student, I use digital media for many different purposes: studying, finding information, communicating with friends and classmates, watching videos, following current events, and relaxing after academic work. Instagram and YouTube are part of my daily routine, while WhatsApp is especially useful for class-related communication. I also use search engines and educational websites whenever I need material for assignments or presentations.

Earlier, I used to think of this simply as using media. After reading the blog, however, I started thinking about it as being influenced by media. I realized that media is not something I use only when I consciously decide to consume it. It is also present in the recommendations I receive, the advertisements I see, the topics that become popular, and the opinions that repeatedly appear in front of me.

This made me ask myself a simple question:

Am I always choosing what I consume, or is some of my media consumption choosing me?

That question has changed the way I look at my everyday media habits.


What I See Shapes What I Notice


One of the clearest examples is social media. When I spend time watching a particular type of content, I often notice more content of the same kind afterwards. For example, when I watch videos related to literature, study methods, or academic presentations, my feed gradually becomes filled with similar material. The same thing can happen with entertainment, fashion, beauty, or lifestyle content.

This can be useful, but it can also narrow my attention. When I repeatedly encounter the same type of information, I may begin to feel that it represents what is most important simply because I see it so often.

I have also noticed that trending content attracts my attention very quickly. Sometimes I click on a reel or video simply because many people are discussing it. This has helped me realize that popularity and importance are not necessarily the same thing.


Media and My Daily Choices


Media influences more than just my opinions. It also affects small decisions in everyday life.

Advertisements can influence what products I become curious about. Reviews and short videos can influence what I think about a particular book, film, application, or product before I have experienced it myself. Social-media trends can influence what seems fashionable or worth trying.

Even my use of time is affected. I may open Instagram for a short break and continue scrolling longer than I intended. What begins as a few minutes of relaxation can easily become a considerable part of my study time.

This has made me realize that media influence is not always dramatic. Sometimes it works through small, repeated habits.


Media and My Worldview


Media also contributes to the way I understand the world. News reports, films, social-media discussions, documentaries, and online conversations introduce me to people, places, cultures, and problems that I may not experience personally.

This can expand my understanding, but it also means that much of what I know about events outside my immediate surroundings comes through representation. I therefore need to remember that a media representation is a particular way of presenting reality, not reality in its entirety.

For example, two sources may discuss the same event but emphasize different details. One may focus on an individual's experience, while another may focus on statistics or institutional statements. Neither perspective automatically gives the complete picture.

This is where Cultural Studies becomes useful because it teaches us to look not only at the message but also at how the message has been constructed.


The Problem of Repetition


One thing I have become more conscious of is the power of repetition. When I encounter the same statement in several posts, videos, or conversations, it can begin to feel trustworthy simply because it is familiar.

But three posts repeating the same claim do not necessarily mean that there are three independent sources.

This is especially important with information shared through WhatsApp or social media. A message may pass from one person to another and eventually appear in many groups, creating the impression that “everyone is saying it.” In reality, all those messages may have originated from the same unverified source.

Because of this, I think repetition should not be confused with confirmation.


Learning to Pause


The most useful change I can make in my media habits is to pause before reacting.

When I see an interesting or shocking piece of information, I can ask where it came from before believing or sharing it. When I read a strong claim, I can look for another reliable source. When I encounter an emotional headline, I can read beyond the headline before forming an opinion.

This does not mean becoming suspicious of everything. It means becoming more careful and conscious about what I accept as knowledge.

The blog's discussion of media, power, and the “truly educated person” makes this especially meaningful. A truly educated person should not be a passive receiver of information. Education should involve questioning, inquiry, discovery, and independent thought. 


My Changing Approach to Social Media


I do not think the solution is to stop using social media. It is too deeply connected with communication, education, creativity, and contemporary culture to be dismissed completely. Instead, I think the important thing is to become a more conscious user.

For me, that means choosing educational content intentionally rather than allowing entertainment content to fill all my available time. It means following different kinds of sources instead of staying within one narrow stream of information. It also means being more careful about sharing something simply because it is interesting or emotionally appealing.

I can also ask myself whether I am using media for a genuine purpose or simply because I have developed the habit of checking my phone whenever I have a free moment.


Critical Consumption and the Truly Educated Person



This leads directly to the question of what it means to be a truly educated person today.

In my view, a truly educated person is not someone who consumes a huge amount of information. Today, almost everyone can access enormous amounts of information within seconds. The more important skill is the ability to evaluate what we encounter.

A critical media user should be able to distinguish:

information from misinformation,
evidence from opinion,
independent sources from repeated claims,
representation from reality,
and personal preference from carefully formed judgement.

Critical consumption also requires self-awareness. I should recognize that my own interests and assumptions can affect what I choose to watch and believe. Being critical, therefore, does not mean criticizing everyone else. It also means examining my own habits and biases.


Media as a Learning Space


At the same time, I do not want to see media only as a source of danger or manipulation. Media can also be one of the most valuable spaces for learning.

Through online lectures, educational videos, digital libraries, literary discussions, interviews, documentaries, and academic platforms, I can encounter ideas that may not be available in my immediate environment. For me as an English student, digital media can make literary criticism and educational resources much more accessible.

The important difference is between passive consumption and active learning.

Instead of simply watching whatever appears on my screen, I can use media to search for different interpretations, explore unfamiliar subjects, compare sources, and continue learning beyond the classroom.


A Simple Habit I Want to Develop


After thinking about my own media consumption, I feel that critical media literacy can begin with a very simple habit:

Pause → Check → Compare → Reflect

Before accepting or sharing something, I can pause rather than react immediately. I can check the source and date. I can compare it with another reliable source. Finally, I can reflect on why I found the message convincing in the first place.

This small process can turn media consumption into a more thoughtful activity.


Conclusion


Reflecting on my own media habits has made me realize that media influences me in ways that are sometimes obvious and sometimes almost invisible. It affects what catches my attention, how I spend my time, what products or trends interest me, and how I understand people and events beyond my direct experience.

For me, critical media consumption is therefore a form of education. It teaches me not to accept information merely because it is popular, repeated, visually attractive, or emotionally convincing. It encourages me to investigate, compare, question, and think independently.

A truly educated person in today's media-saturated world is not simply a person who has access to more information. It is a person who has developed the ability to think carefully about the information they receive and the influence it has on them. That is the kind of media literacy I want to develop not by avoiding media, but by learning how to use it more consciously.


Step 3:


How media and power intersect in shaping modern culture.



Introduction: 


Culture today isn't just inherited from tradition it's actively produced through media: the reels we share, the trends we imitate, the influencers we follow. This makes media central to Cultural Studies, because wherever culture is produced, power is involved in deciding what gets produced, seen, and normalized.

The key theoretical point often missing from a first pass at this topic: media doesn't just reflect power it exercises it, through several distinct mechanisms working together.


Four Layers of Power at Work



a) Ownership and institutional power (Chomsky's Propaganda Model)

Chomsky and Herman's Five Filters ownership, advertising, sourcing, flak, and a common enemy explain how mass media content gets shaped before it even reaches audiences, often invisibly.


b) Ideological power (Gramsci's Hegemony)this is the missing piece

Antonio Gramsci's concept of hegemony is central here and easy to overlook. Power doesn't just work through censorship or ownership it works by making certain values feel like "common sense." When a lifestyle, beauty standard, or definition of success circulates repeatedly through media until it feels natural rather than constructed, that's hegemony operating. It's power through consent, not force.


c) Cultural industry critique (Frankfurt School)also missing

Adorno and Horkheimer's idea of the "culture industry" argued that mass-produced culture standardizes taste and turns creativity into formula for profit. This is directly relevant to influencer culture and algorithmic trends: content is optimized for engagement, not meaning, and audiences are trained to want what performs well commercially.


d) Algorithmic/platform power (contemporary addition)

Beyond institutions, recommendation systems now decide visibility. Meta and Instagram's engagement-based feeds, and Netflix's global content promotion, show that gatekeeping has shifted from editors to algorithms power exercised through data and design choices rather than explicit messaging.


Audiences Are Not Passive — Stuart Hall's Encoding/Decoding



The other major gap: Stuart Hall's Encoding/Decoding model, arguably the founding text of Cultural Studies' approach to media and power. Hall argued audiences don't simply absorb a media message as intended. They can read it three ways:

  • Dominant reading — accepting the intended meaning
  • Negotiated reading — partly accepting, partly resisting it
  • Oppositional reading — rejecting the intended meaning entirely

This matters because it explains why media can be hegemonic and a site of resistance at the same time the same reel can reinforce a stereotype for one viewer and be read critically by another.


Global Circulation: Hybridity vs. Cultural Imperialism




Your draft rightly notes global cultural flow (K-dramas, Netflix's international content), but the missing counter-argument is cultural imperialism theory (Herbert Schiller). This view holds that global media flow isn't neutral exchange it often flows disproportionately from powerful media economies (US, increasingly Korea) to others, shaping local tastes and consumption patterns. The reality sits between full hybridity and imperialism: cultures blend, but not on equal footing.


Representation as a Power Struggle


Who gets to represent a community shapes how that community is understood. Stereotyped, repeated representation narrows identity; access to self-representation (via digital platforms) expands it. This is where visibility becomes a resource that power controls not just what's said, but who is allowed to speak.


Commodification of Identity


Influencer culture shows power operating through aspiration rather than instruction lifestyles, not just products, become purchasable. This is the culture industry critique in its most modern form: identity itself becomes a market category.


AI and the New Frontier of Cultural Power


Generative AI adds a layer Cultural Studies is still catching up to: when a machine trained on existing cultural data produces new "cultural" content, who owns the cultural knowledge being remixed, and who is accountable for the biases embedded in it? UNESCO's work flags exactly this tension between creative access and cultural ownership.


Resistance: Participatory Culture


Henry Jenkins' concept of participatory culture where audiences become producers, remixers, and critics rather than passive recipients is the theoretical backbone for your "media as resistance" section. Regional creators, marginalized communities documenting their own traditions, and viral counter-narratives are all examples of participatory culture pushing back against top-down cultural power.


Conclusion


Media and power intersect on multiple levels simultaneously: ownership decides what's produced, hegemony decides what feels normal, algorithms decide what's seen, and audiences decide what's believed. Modern culture is the ongoing negotiation between these forces power shapes the field of what's visible, but it never fully controls how people read, remix, or resist it.



The importance of critical media literacy as a component of education.


Introduction: Education in a World of Endless Information

We live in a time when information is available almost instantly a student can move from a lecture to an Instagram reel, a YouTube video, a WhatsApp message, and an AI-generated answer within minutes. But access to information is not the same as understanding it.

Education today needs more than textbooks and exams it needs critical media literacy: the ability to understand how media messages are created, how they influence us, and how we can respond to them thoughtfully. Dilip Barad's blog Cultural Studies: Media, Power and Truly Educated Person connects education with questioning, inquiry, and intellectual independence, and shows that media is tied to power because it shapes how people perceive the world. This makes media literacy not an extra skill, but part of what it means to be truly educated.

This essay builds toward that idea in four stages: why questioning matters more than memorizing, how power operates behind media, the new challenges posed by algorithms and AI, and finally, what a media-literate practice actually looks like.


Why Questioning Matters More Than Memorizing


1. From Knowing Information to Questioning It


Traditional education asks students to learn facts and reproduce them. Media literacy adds a further question: how do I know this is reliable? A student may memorize a fact for an exam yet believe a viral post without checking it. Closing this gap means learning to ask:

  • Who created this, and what's the source?
  • When was it published, and what evidence supports it?
  • Is another perspective available? What might be missing?

This shifts education from information collection to intellectual inquiry and it is the foundation everything else in this essay builds on.


2. Reading the Media Behind the Message


That same questioning habit applies beyond factual claims to the form a message takes. A headline, advertisement, film, or reel is never just its surface content. A beauty advertisement, for instance, may present one appearance as desirable through casting, colour, music, and repetition without ever stating it directly. The critical question shifts from "What is this selling?" to "What idea of beauty or success is being sold along with the product?" That shift is where critical education truly begins.


How Power Operates Behind Media


3. The Institutions Behind the Message


Once we start questioning content, the next step is asking who produced it and why. Media doesn't exist outside structures of power. Chomsky's Five Filters ownership, advertising, sourcing, flak, and the common enemy offer a way to interrogate how information is shaped before it reaches us:

  • Who owns the media organisation?
  • Who funds the advertising?
  • Which sources are treated as authoritative?
  • Who has the power to pressure or challenge the media?

These aren't a rigid formula, but a set of questions revealing the institutional background behind messages that otherwise look neutral.


4. The Bias We Bring Ourselves


Power doesn't only operate externally it works through us too. Being critical doesn't mean assuming everyone else is biased while we remain neutral. Group identity shapes how we respond to information: we accept agreeable claims more easily and resist challenging ones more defensively. The harder question isn't just "is this source biased?" but "am I accepting this because it's well-supported, or because I want it to be true?"


New Challenges — Algorithms and AI


5. When the Algorithm Chooses the Next Story

Institutional power has now been joined by a newer, less visible force: personalization. Recommendation systems learn from watch history, clicks, likes, and shares to decide what we see next. This creates a real problem: I may believe "I am choosing my content," when much of it has already been selected for me. Algorithms don't control thought outright but they shape the environment in which thinking happens.


6. Repetition and the Illusion of Truth

This personalized environment has a side effect: seeing the same claim on Instagram, then in a WhatsApp group, then in a video, can create false confidence repeated exposure isn't independent confirmation. This matters especially for students, since rumours about exams or deadlines spread fast through student networks. The response is simple but disciplined:

  • Check for an official notice before reacting
  • Verify a screenshot's original source
  • Look for context before trusting a viral video

The underlying principle: don't let speed replace thought.


7. Authenticity in the Age of AI

The newest layer of this challenge is generative AI, which can produce convincing images, text, audio, and video meaning a striking image can no longer be assumed real. Students must now ask:

  • Was this created by a person, edited, or AI-generated?
  • What evidence exists outside this image?
  • Can the source be verified?

Media literacy here merges with digital and information literacy the tools from Parts One and Two applied to a harder, less visible problem.


Putting It Into Practice


8. Making Learning Active

These skills work best when practiced, not just discussed. Media literacy can transform the classroom: comparing two headlines on the same event for word choice and framing, contrasting a traditional ad with an influencer promotion, or examining a film scene for its representation of class or gender. This makes learning active and connected to daily life, rather than theoretical.


9. Education Should Create Independent Thinkers

All of this serves one larger goal: independence of thought. Following the blog's idea of the "truly educated person," education connects with inquiry, discovery, and intellectual freedom. It isn't just "What should I believe?" but "How should I investigate this before deciding what to believe?" Education shouldn't replace one authority with another it should build the capacity to think for ourselves.


10. From Media Consumer to Media-Critical Citizen

The goal isn't to stop using media, but to use it consciously. Everything above can be distilled into five steps:

STOP → CHECK → COMPARE → QUESTION → REFLECT


Conclusion:


We can find information in seconds the harder, more valuable skill is evaluating it. Critical media literacy teaches students to look beyond headlines, ads, viral videos, and algorithms, understanding how media shapes perception and how our own assumptions affect interpretation. A truly educated person is neither someone who believes everything nor rejects everything but someone willing to pause, investigate, and think independently.

Modern students need two kinds of literacy: the ability to read the world, and the ability to read the media through which that world reaches them. Critical media literacy doesn't teach us to fear media — it teaches us not to surrender our thinking to it.



Your perspective on what it means to be a "truly educated person" in today’s media-saturated world.

Introduction: The Question I Didn't Know I Needed to Ask

There was a time I thought being educated simply meant collecting the right answers enough facts, enough marks, enough certificates to prove I had "arrived" somewhere. But scrolling through my phone one evening, moving from a lecture recording to a reel to a WhatsApp forward within the space of a few minutes, I caught myself believing something within seconds simply because it looked credible. That small, almost embarrassing moment taught me more about education than most of my exams did. It made me ask a question I hadn't taken seriously before: what does it actually mean to be educated when information is this relentless?

I don't think the answer lies in knowing more. I think it lies in learning how to stand still for a second, in a world designed to make us react instantly.

1. The Gap Between Being Informed and Being Educated

I used to conflate the two. Now I notice the difference constantly in myself, in classmates, in the way opinions form around me. Someone can be extremely "informed," carrying dozens of headlines and hot takes in their head, and still not be educated in any meaningful sense, because they've never paused to ask where any of it came from. For me, the line between the two is drawn by one habit: whether you interrogate what you know, or simply accumulate it.

2. Questioning Isn't Cynicism — It's Curiosity With Discipline

I've had to unlearn the idea that questioning something means rejecting it. That's not what it is at all. Questioning, for me, has become closer to curiosity that refuses to be lazy. When I see a claim now in a lecture, a post, a casual conversation I try to sit with it long enough to ask: why should I believe this, and what would change my mind? It's a small pause, but it's the difference between a mind that's being shaped and a mind that's doing the shaping.

3. Fact-Checking as a Quiet Form of Integrity

I won't pretend I fact-check everything I see nobody realistically does. But I've started noticing which claims deserve the extra thirty seconds: the ones I'm tempted to forward, the ones that confirm something I already suspected, the ones dressed up in outrage or certainty. Those are exactly the ones I've learned to slow down on. I've come to think of fact-checking less as a "digital skill" and more as a form of quiet self-respect refusing to let my name be attached to something I never actually verified.

4. Realizing Media Is Written, Not Given

As a literature student, this one hit differently. I already knew that a poem or a novel is constructed  that someone made choices about voice, structure, and silence. What changed is realizing a news report or a reel is built the exact same way. Someone chose the angle, the crop, the music, the words left out. Once you see media as authored rather than given, you can't fully unsee it. Every headline starts to feel like the opening line of a text I still need to read critically.

5. Catching Myself, Not Just Others

This is the uncomfortable one. It's effortless to spot bias in a stranger's opinion online. It's much harder to catch it in my own reflex agreement with something I already wanted to be true. I've started treating that instant, easy agreement as a small warning sign rather than a comfort a signal to slow down, not speed up.

6. Refusing to Let a Feed Define My Curiosity

I notice the pattern clearly now: engage with one kind of content, and the feed quietly narrows around you, feeding you variations of the same idea until it starts to feel like consensus. I've started treating this as something to actively resist deliberately searching out the argument I disagree with, the source I wouldn't normally click on. Not because I owe every viewpoint equal belief, but because I don't want the boundary of my thinking to be decided by an algorithm optimizing for my attention, not my understanding.

7. Asking Whose Story I'm Not Hearing

Literature taught me to notice absence the character who never gets to speak, the perspective the narrative quietly sidelines. I try to bring that same instinct to the media I consume: whose voice is centered here, and whose is missing entirely? At the same time, I've come to appreciate that the same media landscape that can flatten a community into a stereotype can also hand that same community a camera and a platform to speak for themselves. Both are true simultaneously, and I think real media literacy means holding that tension rather than resolving it too quickly.

8. Learning to Say "I Was Wrong" Without Flinching

This might be the hardest lesson, and I'm still working on it. I used to experience changing my mind as a kind of defeat like I'd failed to think it through the first time. I've slowly started to see it differently: the willingness to revise a belief when better evidence shows up isn't a weakness in my thinking, it's proof that my thinking is actually alive.

9. Reading the World the Way I Read a Text

This is where everything comes together for me. Studying literature trained me to ask, almost instinctively, who is speaking, what's being represented, what remains unsaid. I've realized that training doesn't have to stay inside the pages of a syllabus. A film, an advertisement, a viral clip they can all be read with the same attentiveness I'd bring to a poem. In a strange way, my degree didn't just teach me to analyze literature. It taught me how to read the world I'm actually living in.

Conclusion: The Kind of Educated I Actually Want to Be

If I'm honest, I don't think I'll ever finish becoming "truly educated" I think it's less a destination and more a discipline I have to keep choosing, scroll after scroll, claim after claim. But if I had to define it in one line, it would be this: a truly educated person isn't someone who has all the answers, but someone who has trained themselves to notice when they're being handed one too easily.

That, to me, is the real education not the one that fills my head with certainty, but the one that gives me the patience to keep asking, and the humility to keep revising what I think I know.


References:


Barad, Dilip. “Cultural Studies: Media, Power and Truly Educated Person.” Dilip Barad Blog, 14 Mar. 2017, https://blog.dilipbarad.com/2017/03/cultural-studies-media-power-and-truly.html. Accessed 17 Sept. 2026.

No comments:

Post a Comment